ATLANTA — The late-night meeting that brought Chris Paul’s LA Clippers career to a stunning and unceremonious end was supposed to take place during normal business hours.
After all these weeks of building frustrations between the two sides, with Paul’s dissatisfaction being felt in every corner of the Clippers operation during a brutal start to their season, the team’s longtime president of basketball operations, Lawrence Frank, sent word to the future Hall of Famer that they needed to meet on Tuesday evening in Atlanta. The tone of his message demanded a change in Paul’s plans.
Paul, league sources said, had planned on attending the men’s basketall game at his alma mater, Wake Forest, and then rejoining the Clippers in Atlanta afterwards. But he changed his plans, spending the first part of Tuesday attending an art festival in Miami before hopping on the team’s chartered flight that was scheduled to land in Atlanta around 6 p.m. local time.
But there was an unexpected issue: The team plane had mechanical problems in Miami, causing an hours-long delay that, in the end, would lead to Frank and Paul discussing their unresolvable issues deep into the wee hours. By the time Paul shared the news of his release on social media at 2:40 a.m. in Atlanta, writing “Just found out I’m being sent home” on an Instagram post, the only people confused about why it had happened were outside of the Clippers’ walls. Whether you agreed with the decision or not, this much was clear: Paul’s constant criticism internally had been the root of the perceived problem.
The notion of Paul being unfiltered and unrelenting with his viewpoint is hardly something new. Anyone who paid attention during his storied 21-year career — including his Lob City run with the Clippers from 2011 to 2017 — knows that his leadership style isn’t for everyone. And when the Clippers signed up for this reunion in July, adding him to their veteran-laden group by way of a one-year, $3.6 million deal, team sources say they went to great lengths to manage his expectations regarding his role. The goal was to minimize the chance that something like this might occur.
Yet as the Clippers continued to struggle, falling to 5-16 during this season in which they fully intended on contending for a title, league sources say the acerbic nature of Paul’s perspective was met with increasing resistance from those around him. Head coach Ty Lue and his staff, specifically, were known to be at wit’s end when it came to dealing with Paul. Some teammates took exception with his disparaging tone.

During his iconic “Lob City” years with the Clippers, Chris Paul formed a dynamic trio with All-Stars Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
League sources say Paul had several meetings recently with Clippers officials regarding their concerns with his approach, with one source indicating that there was a request for him to stop with the “locker room lawyering.” League sources said Paul was openly critical of the team in a film session on Tuesday, but — as Frank indicated — the decision to move on from Paul had already been made.
“It wasn’t working out the way that I had planned and we had planned and it’s unfortunate,” Frank said Wednesday at a virtual news conference. “You don’t take decisions like this lightly at all. Especially a guy that meant so much to the league and so much our organization, but just felt it was the right decision to make and unfortunately it was a really, really hard decision to make, but I think it was the right one for the team and organization.”
Frank also said his decision “had nothing to do with one incident or one meeting that did or did not happen,” declining to further elaborate on how he decided to move on from a man many consider to be the greatest Clippers player of all time. He said his face-to-face with Paul began at 11 p.m. ET on Tuesday and lasted three hours, describing it as a “long, long, long, long, long meeting.”
Paul, 40, was in and out of Lue’s rotation during this trying season in which the Clippers entered Wednesday’s game against the Hawks with a 5-16 record. He appeared in 16 games for the Clippers this season, averaging 2.9 points and 3.3 assists in a career-low 14.3 minutes per game. Paul was coming off a campaign in San Antonio last year in which he started all 82 games for the Spurs, averaging 8.8 points and 7.4 assists.
Because Paul signed as a free agent with LA, he is not eligible to be traded until Dec. 15. Frank said the Clippers would “continue to work with Chris’ representatives” in determining how Paul is ultimately removed from the roster. Frank also made clear the team was not blaming its poor performance on Paul. Reading between the lines, this was a move made because Paul’s presence and demeanor with the team while it was losing was not considered helpful.
Paul coming back to the LA Clippers seemed like the obvious move. After his one-year pact with the San Antonio Spurs, Paul indicated that his career was winding down. After leaving the Clippers in 2018, Paul’s family had stayed in Los Angeles as he hopped from one stop to the next: From Houston to Oklahoma City, a three-year run in Phoenix, a one-season stop with Golden State and then a successful season with Victor Wembanyama and the Spurs.
Still, the Clippers put a roster together in the offseason that made it clear where Paul’s place on the team would be: he wouldn’t be a starter or even a regular rotation player. It took the Clippers until the fourth week of July to sign Paul. While celebrating Paul as a Clippers legend and praising him for his ability at this stage of his career, Frank was careful to use his statement announcing Paul’s addition to clearly and publicly outline Paul’s role, as if to defuse any potential confusion and conflict.
“Chris will help fortify our backcourt with his exceptional ballhandling, playmaking and shooting,” Frank said in the team’s statement. “He is joining us as a reserve point guard and is excited to fill whatever role T. Lue asks him to play. He wants to be part of the group and we’re fortunate to have him back.”
Paul can, and on numerous occasions has, served as a mentor and adviser to younger players who look up to him. A 12-time All-Star who is second all time in assists and steals behind John Stockton, Paul most recently put his arm around rising Atlanta star Dyson Daniels. When the Hawks were in Los Angeles last month, Paul was spotted in an engaged chat with Daniels, telling him, among other things, to “shoot the ball.”
“He basically said I work too hard on defense and every other aspect of the game, so I basically need to reward myself by shooting the ball,” Daniels said Wednesday morning, before the Hawks’ game against the Clippers. “It all makes sense. Very simple but yeah, coming from a guy like that, it definitely helps to hear.”
There were chances for Paul to do the same for Clippers teammates, and he would mentor the team’s few young players from time to time. But the Clippers entered the season as the NBA’s oldest team, with an average age per player of 33.2 years. The coaching staff is also a veteran group, with lifers like Lue, and Jeff Van Gundy, and Brian Shaw and Larry Drew, and Paul’s critiques came off like grating criticisms that were unwelcome while the team was trying to find itself while playing through injury, league sources said.
Paul’s retirement tour through the league didn’t last two weeks. On Nov. 22, Paul unveiled that this would be his final season through a social media post.
“Do I want to see CP go out like this? No, I have a lot of respect for him,” Lue said. “He’s been a friend of mine over the years, and you never want to see a great go out like this, but I’m pretty sure he will find something because he’s a great player.
“I don’t like it for CP, but it just wasn’t a good fit.”
News
Pittsburgh Steelers Announce Major Changes to Acrisure Stadium Ahead of 2026 Season — Team Responds After Fans Said a New Feature Felt “Overwhelming,” Promising Adjustments to Improve the Game-Day Experience and Restore Comfort for Supporters.
THE Pittsburgh Steelers are announcing major changes to Acrisure Stadium. Significant changes are being made to the Steelers‘ stadium for 2026…
Kayla Simmons is turning heads once again after sharing a bold beachside look that quickly set social media buzzing. Dubbed by fans as one of the most eye-catching figures in volleyball, Simmons posted a series of photos in a minimal white bikini — and reactions poured in almost instantly. From “mesmerising” to “unreal,” followers didn’t hold back as the post racked up engagement. Known for blending her athletic background with a strong online presence, Simmons continues to build a brand that goes far beyond the court. While the photos grabbed attention, it’s the consistency of her influence that stands out most. And one detail in the post is what fans keep coming back to. It might explain why she continues to dominate the spotlight.
KAYLA SIMMONS has bared her bum in a tiny bikini leaving her fans stunned on social media. The world’s sexiest…
A stunning reversal has caught fans off guard as a Pittsburgh Steelers star has already walked back his retirement — just weeks after stepping away from the game. What initially seemed like a definitive goodbye is now looking more like a pause, with the player signaling a return that’s raising eyebrows across the National Football League. Retirement decisions in the NFL are rarely simple, often shaped by physical demands, personal factors, and unfinished business — and this situation appears to be no different. Fans are split between excitement and confusion, trying to understand what changed so quickly behind the scenes. Teammates and insiders are also reacting, with speculation building about what this means for the Steelers moving forward. But one detail about the timeline of his decision is what’s drawing the most attention. And it could reveal why this U-turn happened so fast.
A FORMER PITTSBURGH STEELERS star has announced his decision to return to the NFL just weeks after hanging up the…
Life off the field is taking center stage for Dak Prescott as he and ex-fiancée Sarah Jane Ramos navigate a complicated custody situation following their high-profile breakup. After what many described as a messy split, both sides are now reportedly focused on finding a stable path forward — putting co-parenting and long-term priorities ahead of past tensions. For Prescott, the situation adds a deeply personal layer to an already demanding career with the Dallas Cowboys, where pressure never really lets up. Sources suggest efforts are being made to keep matters as private and constructive as possible, even as public interest continues to grow. Fans have been watching closely, with reactions ranging from support to curiosity about how things will unfold. But one key approach both sides are taking is what’s drawing the most attention. And it could define how this situation evolves moving forward.
Dak Prescott and ex-fiancée Sarah Jane Ramos are taking steps to amicably come to terms on a temporary custody arrangement…
Josh Allen and Hailee Steinfeld Announce Birth of First Child — The Buffalo Bills Star and Hollywood Actress Share Joyful News, Marking a New Chapter as They Welcome Their Baby Into the World.
Bills quarterback Josh Allen and his wife, actress Hailee Steinfeld, are officially a family of three. The couple announced Thursday…
A powerful full-circle moment is unfolding for an NFL player whose actions off the field once made headlines for all the right reasons. After bravely pulling a man from a burning car and saving his life, the National Football League star is now being handed a career lifeline of his own — a second chance that’s capturing attention across the football world. At the time, his heroic act drew widespread praise, showing a side of athletes fans don’t always get to see. Now, as he looks to revive his career, that moment is being remembered as more than just a headline — but a reflection of character. Teams are always weighing talent against intangibles, and stories like this can carry real weight. As news spreads, support is pouring in from fans and insiders alike. But one key detail about this opportunity is what’s standing out most. And it could determine whether this comeback truly takes hold.
KJ OSBORN has reportedly agreed a one-year deal with the Tennessee Titans. The wide receiver, 28, has not played in…
End of content
No more pages to load






